Is Your Home Suited for Solar?
The OKI Regional Council of Governments has launched an online interactive Solar Map to help homeowners determine if their home is a good fit for solar. Funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Energy’s SunShot Initiative, the Solar Map provides information about the solar potential of buildings in the Greater Cincinnati region.
After searching a specific address, the map can tell you:
- if a roof is “good for solar” or “too shaded for solar”
- the percentage of usable roof area
- the size of the potential system
- the potential number of kW per year that the system would produce
- an annual utility savings estimate
- the optimal areas of the roof for the panels
OKI would like you to keep in mind that this isn’t a perfect resource. The information produced by the tool is based on survey data and can’t substitute for a professional evaluation, but it is a great place to start.
Using the Map
1. Type the address of the building in question in the search bar in the upper right of the browser window:
2. Click on the building in the map:
3. See your solar potential from the results that appear on the left pane of the browser window:
About OKI: The Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments (OKI) is a council of local governments, business organizations, and community groups committed to developing collaborative strategies to improve the quality of life and the economic vitality of the region.